Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

In loving memory


I did marching band in high school. I got to travel to all sorts of cool places, hang out with some awesome people, and do things that not very many people get to do. Band was a big part of my life in high school. One person I was lucky enough to get to know was Heather Christensen. She was the staff member for my section my senior year, and we had a blast with her. Heather was riot, and she was very passionate about music. I think my passion, and tenacity for animation is something I picked up from Heather. Everyone who knew her will tell you that they learned a great deal from Heather. Some will even tell you that she was their hero. To some in my section, she is the reason they are still alive today. One year ago, as the band was coming home from a competition in Idaho, one of the busses carrying my old section and a few others crashed. The driver had suffered a medical problem that caused them to pass out and lose control of the bus. True to her character, Heather dove for the steering wheel. Thanks to her heroic act, every student walked away from that crash. Heather passed away, she was the only fatality.

Heather's last lesson will stick with me longer than stories of winning the coveted spirit stick at band camp (it was a plunger,) "celebrating" our mistakes with push ups, or the countless pranks we pulled on each other. Thanks, Heather. You taught me how to live and love, while teaching me to toot my clarinet and run around a football field like a madman.

No comments:

Post a Comment